President Trump announced on Sunday, during a phone call with supporters, that he has now “tested totally negative” for the Chinese Virus.
“I’ve been tested totally negative,” Trump said in an audio message which his campaign posted on YouTube. “I’m going to be out in Florida tomorrow, working very hard because this is an election we have to win.”
The president’s update comes after White House doctor Sean Conley sent out a memo on Saturday, saying, that Trump was no longer at risk of transmitting the coronavirus.
During an interview with Maria Bartiromo on Fox News’ Sunday Morning Futures, President Trump also said that he was “immune” to the virus, adding, “The president is in very good shape to fight the battles.”
“I can go way out of a basement, which I would have done anyway,” Trump continued, “I beat this crazy horrible China virus … I passed the highest test, the highest standards, and I’m in great shape. And I have to tell you, I feel fantastically. I really feel good.”
On Oct. 10, Trump made his first public appearance since he was diagnosed with the virus, which originated in mainland China last year. He delivered an address in support of law enforcement, speaking from the Blue Room balcony at the White House.
President Trump wore a mask as he walked out to the balcony, before taking it off to speak to supporters.
“I want you to know our nation is going to defeat this terrible China virus,” Trump told the crowd. “We’re producing powerful therapies and drugs, and we’re healing the sick and we’re going to recover, and the vaccine is coming out very, very quickly.”
Trump, at the event, also defended the administration’s response to the pandemic when he closed down travel with China in response to the virus, earlier this year. Both Trump and Vice President Mike Pence, in their respective debates, accused Democrats of downplaying the severity of the virus in February and March, and asserted that Democrats accused Trump of “xenophobia” and racism for shutting down travel with the country.
His campaign has said he’s preparing for a rally in Florida on Oct. 12, an event which has faced skepticism, but the Trump team has assured that the president would not risk exposing anyone to the Chinese virus, and that the events would not be taking place without the incredible doctor’s news that he is no longer contagious.
Last week, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany, who has also tested positive for the virus, said Trump won’t campaign until it’s clear that he’s unable to transmit the CCP virus.
“The president, I was on the phone with him three or four times yesterday, and he is hard at work. He’s ready to go. He wants to talk to the American people and he wants to be out there,” she said on “Fox & Friends” on Oct. 9.
Campaign officials have signaled that Trump will be traveling nearly every day the rest of the campaign, and sometimes making more than one stop, an aggressive schedule especially when contrasted with that of his opponent who seems to spend more time resting than campaigning.
On Sunday, Trump asserted in a tweet that he had “total and complete sign off from White House Doctors” to fully return to the campaign trail, insisting he can no longer spread the disease to others and was impervious to getting sick again.