Author

Anders Hagstrom

Browsing

President Donald Trump has no plans to issue preemptive pardons for himself nor members of his family, Fox News reported Monday.

Rumors have swirled in recent weeks that Trump would issue pardons to close allies and members of his family before leaving office, preventing potential charges surround he and and his campaign’s attempt to overturn President-Elect Joe Biden’s election win. While the New York attorney general and New York City district attorney are investigating Trump’s tax history, none of his children are currently known to be under investigation.

“Sources with knowledge of the process tell Fox News that President Trump is NOT EXPECTED to issue ‘protective’ pardons to members of his family, and is NOT expected to attempt a protective pardon for himself,” Fox News Chief White House Correspondent John Roberts tweeted Monday.

A presidential self-pardon is legally dubious and, if attempted, would surely be challenged in court.

Trump is expected to pardon roughly 100 people on his final full day in office Tuesday. Trump did not include himself nor his family on the reported list of pardons, but it was unclear whether he would make the last-minute decision to do so. Fox News sources now say they do not expect him to.

Trump has issued a number of controversial pardons in his final weeks and months in office, including for his long-time ally Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, and Charles Kushner, the father of his son-in-law, Jared Kushner.

Earlier in December, Trump granted pardons to 15 people and commuted the sentences of five others. The notable pardons included George Papadopoulos, a convict from the Trump-Russia investigation; four former Blackwater military contractors, and former GOP Reps. Chris Collins and Duncan Hunter, Trump allies who were convicted on fraud charges during the Trump administration.

Author: Anders Hagstrom

Source: Daily Caller: REPORT: Trump Doesn’t Plan To Pardon Himself Or His Family

Capitol Hill rioters may face significant felony charges of “sedition and conspiracy” for their role in the storming of the U.S. Capitol last week, the Justice Department (DOJ) announced Tuesday.

The DOJ made the announcement during a Tuesday press conference in which it also said it expects to level “hundreds” of charges against rioters in the near future. The sedition and conspiracy charges are likely relegated to the organizers of the event and potential future events around President-Elect Joe Biden’s inauguration.

The DOJ has already identified at least 170 people suspected of having committed violence in and around the Capitol last week.

But even as investigations into the Capitol riots are getting under way, new threats against Biden’s inauguration ceremony are emerging. The National Guard is increasing troop presence to 10,000 ahead of the ceremony. Protests against Biden’s victory are planned all across the country, with some including threats of violence.

Five people were confirmed to have died in the riots, including a Capitol Hill police officer, Brian Sicknick.

“Officer Sicknick was responding to the riots on Wednesday, January 6, 2021, at the U.S. Capitol and was injured while physically engaging with protesters,” The Capitol Hill Police Force said in a statement. “He returned to his division office and collapsed. He was taken to a local hospital where he succumbed to his injuries. The death of Officer Sicknick will be investigated by the Metropolitan Police Department’s Homicide Branch, the USCP, and our federal partners.”

Author: Anders Hagstrom

Source: Daily Caller: DOJ Looking Into ‘Sedition And Conspiracy’ Charges Against Capitol Rioters

Ad Blocker Detected!

Advertisements fund this website. Please disable your adblocking software or whitelist our website.
Thank You!