Author

Leah Barkoukis

Browsing

President-elect Joe Biden released a statement responding to the House of Representatives impeaching President Trump for a second time, saying he hopes the Senate can pursue its “Constitutional responsibilities” while also working on other important matters facing the nation.

“Last week, we saw an unprecedented assault on our democracy. It was unlike anything we have witnessed in the 244-year history of our nation,” he said. “A violent attack on the United States Capitol itself. On the people’s representatives. On police officers who every day risk their lives to protect them. And on fellow citizens who serve as public servants in that Citadel of Liberty.”

He continued: “The criminal attack was planned and coordinated. It was carried out by political extremists and domestic terrorists, who were incited to this violence by President Trump.”

Biden said the House exercised its power to impeach the 45th president and hold him accountable.

“It was a bipartisan vote cast by members who followed the Constitution and their conscience. The process continues to the Senate,” he noted. “This nation also remains in the grip of a deadly virus and a reeling economy. I hope that the Senate leadership will find a way to deal with their Constitutional responsibilities on impeachment while also working on the other urgent business of this nation.”

He said the “urgent work” of confirmations, addressing COVID-19, and revamping the economy must continue.

The House voted to impeach Trump on Thursday, 232 to 197, with 10 GOP lawmakers crossing party lines to join Democrats.

“We know that the president of the United States incited this insurrection, this armed rebellion, against our country,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said. “He must go—he is a clear and present danger to the nation that we all love.”

Author: Leah Barkoukis

Source: Town Hall: How Biden Responded to the House Impeaching Trump

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy had a brilliant response after House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer took a photo with Democrats who lost their races on Election Day, posting a picture of his own showing Republican losses.

@LeaderHoyer takes a picture with Democrats not coming back next year after losing on Election Day. Now telling story about elections he lost. ‘Do not lose heart,’ Hoyer said,” tweeted Politico’s John Bresnahan.

While Democrats managed to retain control of the lower chamber, the anticipated Blue Wave never happened.

“Tuesday was an abject disaster for Democrats in Washington,” Politico’s Jake Sherman noted the morning after the election.

“To imagine the amount of soul searching and explaining the party will have to do after Tuesday is absolutely dizzying. The infighting will be bloody — as it should be,” he continued. “Democrats and Republicans told us that Dems would win a dozen seats in the House, and knock off a whole host of Republican incumbents, and that was completely wrong. Instead, Republicans — powered by the @NRCC and @CLF — beat a bunch of Democratic incumbents.”

Given this reality, McCarthy posted a picture of himself, captioning the photo: “Here’s a group photo of me with all the House Republicans who lost races this year.”

Bresnahan even responded, “Quality trolling.”

Author: Leah Barkoukis

Source: Town Hall: McCarthy Responds to Photo of Defeated House Dems in ‘Greatest Troll Tweet on Twitter This Year’

Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden’s entire reason for getting into the race is based on a lie. The former vice president said the “moment I knew I had to run” was President Trump’s “very fine people on both sides” comment from 2017. Biden falsely claims the president was referring to neo-Nazis and white nationalists, which as Matt reported, is “just as big a myth as Russian collusion.” The entire transcript is available for anyone to see. Trump made clear, “I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists, because they should be condemned totally.” Nevertheless, Biden and vice-presidential nominee Kamala Harris have been on the campaign trail falsely claiming he hasn’t denounced white supremacy yet.

“Donald Trump fails to condemn White supremacy, doesn’t believe that systemic racism is a problem, and won’t say that black lives matter,” Biden said at a campaign stop in Georgia this week.

To leave no room for doubt, the Trump campaign hit back, creating a five-minute ad that compiles all the times the president has publicly denounced white supremacy.

“Joe Biden has never condemned the KKK but did praise a former KKK Exalted Cyclops as his ‘mentor,’ the ad description reads.

The Trump campaign has also made a point of highlighting Biden’s “history of racist comments” in a series of campaign ads directed toward the black community. One ad in particular uses the former vice president’s own words during his decades-long career as a politician.

Author: Leah Barkoukis

Source: Town Hall: New Ad Compiles the Dozens of Times Trump Has Condemned Racism, White Supremacy

President Trump has reportedly changed his mind about an all-out ban on some e-cigarette flavors, according to The Washington Post.

Everything had been ready to sign off on, which would’ve taken the flavors off the market in 30 days, but the president abruptly reversed course on Nov. 4, the night before a scheduled news conference, the Post reports. The reason had to do with the president’s fear over the job losses a flavor ban would create had he moved forward with the plan, which had been set into motion at his wife and daughter’s request over the rise in youth vaping.

As he had done so many times before, Trump reversed course — this time on a plan to address a major public health problem because of worries that apoplectic vape shop owners and their customers might hurt his reelection prospects, said White House and campaign officials. He also believed job losses tied to the ban would cost him as he sought to trumpet economic growth. It was the latest example of the chaotic way policy is made — and sometimes unmade — in a White House where the ultimate decider often switches gears after making a controversial vow, whether on combating gun violence, pulling troops from Syria or promising to deliver an Obamacare replacement plan.

Officials said the blowback to Trump’s vow to ban most flavored e-cigarettes had rattled him. In an aggressive social media campaign — #IVapeIVote — advocates claimed the ban would shut down thousands of shops, eliminating jobs and sending vapers back to cigarettes. The president saw protesters at events and read critical articles. His campaign manager, Brad Parscale, privately warned the ban could hurt him in battleground states, said a person who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations. Trump was now upset with Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, who had taken the lead in rolling out the plan, said three officials familiar with the discussions.

“He didn’t know much about the issue and was just doing it for Melania and Ivanka,” said a senior administration official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to share the discussions. (WaPo)

Conservatives warned him it would be a huge mistake not just in principle and for public health, but also politically. Americans For Tax Reform was more blunt, writing: “A Trump Ban on Flavored E-Cigarettes Will Cost Him the 2020 Election: Data on 12 Important Swing States.” The article pointed to the number of people using the product across battleground states–many of whom have successfully quit smoking cigarettes as a result.

“To ignore that these adults have used e-cigarettes to quit smoking cigarettes, something that they’re proud of and strongly believe in would be among the biggest political miscalculations of the presidential campaign in 2020,” the article states.

Fortunately, for now, it seems he has listened.

Late last week he said he will be holdings meetings to explore a new way to address the issue.

“Will be meeting with representatives of the Vaping industry, together with medical professionals and individual state representatives, to come up with an acceptable solution to the Vaping and E-cigarette dilemma,” Trump tweeted. “Children’s health & safety, together with jobs, will be a focus!”

Author: Leah Barkoukis

Source: Town Hall: President Trump Reportedly Reverses Course on Issue That Could’ve Cost Him the 2020 Election

Ad Blocker Detected!

Advertisements fund this website. Please disable your adblocking software or whitelist our website.
Thank You!